Learn about this year's Nobel prize winners!
- "Whose science? A new era in regulatory 'science wars'" This article details the history and the current state of science policy.
- "NSF lifts proposal limits on biologists" Learn about why the NSF reversed this decision!
- "Open access plan draws online protest" Have you heard about Plan S?
- "NSF moves to pilot LGBT questions on national workforce surveys" After earning your PhD, graduates fill out the NSF's survey of earned doctorates, which provides demographic information about those receiving PhD's. They plan to expand their questionnaire to include questions regarding gender identity and sexual orientation.
Graduate Student Resources:
- "Twenty things I wish I’d known when I started my PhD" Advice from those that have gone before us!
- "Beyond hierarchical one-on-one mentoring" Learn about other options for developing mentorship during your career.
- "Seven steps towards health and happiness in the lab" Read about a PI's thoughts regarding how to have a balanced, productive, and happy lab life.
- "How to handle the one-size-fits-all PhD" Learn about how young researchers can use various strategies to help them to cope with the pressures and demands of doctoral programs.
- "How to design a winning fellowship proposal" This article makes recommendations about how to write a truly effective fellowship proposal that will boost your chances of a favorable outcome!
- "A social media survival guide" Learn how to navigate social media with some tips from experts.
- "Satisfaction in science" Nature's most recent survey offers some insight into salaries and scientific careers.
- "Juggling research and family life: honest reflections from scientist dads" Five fathers describe how they and their partners combine parenting and careers.
- "Why you should move country" A study finds that researchers who are mobile get more citations and build broader teams of collaborators than those who aren't willing to move.
- "Why graduate students should get involved in advocacy" Becoming a leader in a field you are passionate about can teach you crucial management skills and offer support outside of the lab.
- "Why a European agency post can be an excellent destination for researchers" Learn about how competitive agency positions offer balanced and rewarding science careers.
- "Climbing out of the bottle" A moving piece about a graduate student's struggle with depression and alcoholism during their PhD.
- "What are you waiting for?" This article explores the death of the mandatory retirement age for tenured professors and how this has impacted the science job market.
- "Why I became a mental-health first-aider at my research institute" This piece asserts that research group leaders should learn how to recognize if colleagues are experiencing problems at work.