Wednesday February 3rd 2015
12 pm- 1 pm, BRB 381
1. GSO introduction Kayly
2. New business:
a. Kayly- Screening of PhD movie is TOMORROW, 2/4/16! We will have food, drinks, and door prizes! Starts at 5:30 pm in the student center. We need TWO VOLUNTEERS to pick up food order around 4:30 and set-up. Clean up?
b. Kayly – Strategic Meeting of Student Representatives will be held on February 10TH at 12pm in BRB603 – please come if you are on an OHSU committee/student interest group.
c. Kayly- Responses from the SHAC survey: 90 Masters and PhD students responded, 85 other students responded (Medical, Dental, etc.). Of the 90 Masters/PhD students, 80 voted to maintain the dependent option (either for everyone or just for the students on stipends). 10 voted not to retain it. Of the 85 others, 40 voted to maintain the option, 45 voted not to.
d. Kayly- GSO is sponsoring two NEW student awards at SOM Honors and Awards Ceremony on May 20th to recognize student’s academic accomplishments and further professional development
- The “GSO student engagement award” will be given to a student who is exceptionally engaged in GSO operations and fulfillment of our mission. Will be chosen by the GSO officers.
- The second award is the “GSO exemplary future scientist award” which will be given to a student that demonstrates the qualities of a “fully-formed” scientist (e.g. innovative, good communicator, collaborative, supportive of peers, resourceful, strong understanding of field). Any SOM graduate student is eligible for nomination. In addition to peer recommendation the selection process will take into account publications, presentations, awards, travels, outreach, and campus activities. GSO officers will choose a winner from the nominees. We need nominations by April 8th see our website (www.ohsugso.weebly.com) for more details and submissions.
f. Kayly- OHSU Asian Pacific American Student Association event- Friday February 5th, 2016 at 5 pm in CLSB 2S030 and 2S034 to celebrate the Lunar New Year and welcome the Year of the Monkey! Snacks and activities!!
g. Lilli- GSO bowling night! Details: Saturday March 5th 6-8 pm at AMF Pro 300 lanes 3031 SE Powell Blvd. Two hours of unlimited bowling (shoes included), pizza, soda, and two drinks at the bar all for the small price of $6 if you pre-register or $9 at the door. Pre-registration is available on the GSO website.
3. Invited speakers:
a. Financial/Insurance – dependent coverage decision made at grad council- Rick Goranflo
- SHAC survey- not sure what is going to come of this, what next steps are with this.
- Right now they are paying $240/month/dependent so they will reimburse up to this amount next year.
- You will use the exchanges to find a plan knowing that you will only be reimbursed up to this amount.
- More detailed info. About how this is going to work are going to be talking about at grad council next month and we will keep you posted.
- Lisa Palmer (find contact info through JBT) will also be coming as she will be our resource to find plans on the exchanges.
- If this doesn’t work for long term we have flexibility in coming years to make changes, also with/if grad student population changes and we have more or less dependents. This will start Sept 2016.
- Students will still be on institutional plan, only dependents will go on exchanges.
- Money is a charged subject, but it is his speciality!!
- He is a certified financial planner for students and alumni. If you don’t have debt, that is OK, he can help with stipends/budgets and tax help. He can talk in generalities about
- He is flexible with appointment times- 6 am, 9 pm, whatever!
- Bring your significant other if it pertains!
- Go to OHSU library webpage and on left hand side there is a link to EndNote. Click on this to find directions for how to download Endnote and how to use it.
- Download will not work on Google Chrome!
- Tracy Dana is library’s endnote guru, her contact info is on the endnote page, email her with questions.
- There are endnote training sessions, see dates on this same webpage.
- Endnote is a permanent download to your computer, so once you leave OHSU you will still have endnote on your own personal comp.
- Ref works is going to be expiring Dec 2016 and will become “static” after this, so switch over to endnote now and have time to transition.
d. Jackie Wirz/Professional Development Center
- Research week: 3MT, networking night, Mike Matrone will give a talk on how to network.
- This spring: Workshops on cultivating your online presences. Will include LinkedIN profile workshops, “I googled myself and OMG”, and others. Dates/specifics to come.
e. Funding Request: Mike Matrone is bringing Jean Luc Doumont to OHSU in April of 2016. Jean Luc is a consultant on effective communication strategies, and is a common lecturer on the academic circuit. Here is a link to his website: www.principiae.be and a list of his sessions. He is going to be talking about data representation styles, communication styles, etc.
- His visit is currently being sponsored by the Postdoc Office and Cindy Morris. He is seeking some additional funds from other potential partners, including graduate studies. Sponsorship would give reserve some seats for graduate students, although they would be limited in number.
- Funding this would mean having to cut something out of our budget – possibly our second pub night.
- All attendees In favor of funding: 12, not in favor of funding: 20. Final decision is not to fund at this time. Not sure if student seats will still be available or not.
4. Regular updates:
a. All Hill Update Kayly
- Awards ceremony previously called “volunteer awards” is being RE-VAMPED. Now called the FLAME awards. Happening in March.The nomination survey monkey will get sent out. Survey closes Feb 19th!! The awards are:
Global/International Service Award
Community Outreach & Clinical Service
Forging the Way – Group award
Excellence in Journalism
Volunteer of the Year
- Convocation is Sunday June 12th at Moda Center.
- Oregon foodbank volunteer opportunity- ask Courtney Betts for details
b. Grad Studies/ council update Kayly
- Dependent insurance option for next year has been voted upon. OHSU will work on a reimbursement system where student can buy insurance from the exchanges. OHSU will reimburse up to $240 per dependent per month. Through the exchanges the charges and reimbursements will happen on a monthly basis. This figure was found by looking at current usage and costs. If usage changes dramatically, in coming years, they will revise.
- Lisa Palmer has been hired to work 1-on-1 with students to figure out insurance options on exchanges. Contact her: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stipend increase of $1000 was approved in January. Should go into effect in summer sometime. They are still discussing changing the stipend levels by year – talk to your program chairs!
c. Pulse newsletter update- David Edwards
- Re-designing the website currently
d. Research Week and/or student life update- Christie Pizzimenti
- One poster sessions is the final plan- it will be Monday! It will be 3 hours with a huge reception.
- Student day programming is going to spread across the week
- Programming events: Finding a post-doc panel (with OHSU post docs), trouble-shooting negative data, Jackie is going to give a career talk, talk on finding funding- F awards, K awards, funding outside of NRSA.
e. Christie- IDEAS committee- re-thinking grad education at OHSU will have town-hall before or during GSO coffee hour during Research Week. Details to come.
f. Winter Travel Award- Shannon. Winter applications are due February 19th. Check the GSO website Awards page for more details and to apply.
5. Upcoming events Lilli
- Next GSO coffee break is Wednesday Feb 17th 2-3 pm in the old synapse!